The average domestic solar PV system is 4kW and on average costs between £4,500.00 and £6,000.00 (including VAT at 5%). Costs have fallen significantly over the last year. They vary between installers and products, so we recommend getting quotes from at least three installers.
Other factors that affect PV installation costs are:
- The more electricity the system can generate, the more it costs but the more it could save.
- Larger systems are usually more cost-effective than smaller systems (up to 4kWp).
- PV panels are all around the same price per kWp, but PV tiles cost much more than a typical system made up of panels.
- Panels built into a roof are more expensive than those that sit on top.
- Green Deal finance and renewables.
- This technology is an eligible measure under the UK government’s Green Deal which is a financing mechanism that lets people pay for energy-efficiency improvements through savings on their energy bills. Further information on Green Deal.